Rhodiola rosea Root Extract
Rhodiola rosea has been categorized as an adaptogenic botanical due to its ability to increase resistance to a variety of stressors. Rhodiola has been studied extensively and is widely used in Eastern Europe and Asia to help support the nervous system, mood regulation, mental clarity, work performance and the sleep cycle. Within the central nervous system, Rhodiola has demonstrated an ability to preserve levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. In a randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled study examining the effects of Rhodiola on fatigue and stress, 161 patients aged 19 to 21 years received Rhodiola twice daily resulting in a significant reduction in fatigue.  An additional study using Rhodiola extract in students showed significant improvements in mental performance, greater mood stability and improved sleep patterns. 
Eleuthero Root Extract†
Eleutherococcus senticosus has been identified as a strong adaptogenic botanical and is widely used in China to support general health, memory and endurance.  In addition to its ability to improve stress resilience and fight fatigue, Eleuthero has exhibited immune supporting effects.  In a double -blind study, 45 healthy volunteers received Eleuthero or placebo for 30 days. A cognitive challenge test was given to assess stress response, and heart rate. Unlike placebo, subjects receiving Eleuthero demonstrated a 40% reduction in heart rate in response to the stressor.  Eleuthero has also been shown to improve performance in runners. In a study on performance athletes, Eleuthero extract (2 or 4 mL) given 30 minutes prior to a race significantly reduced race time (48.7 minutes) compared to the control group (52.6 minutes). 
Schizandra Berry Extract†
Schizandra berry extract is an adaptogenic botanical that has been used for centuries in China and Russia to help support mental clarity, stress response and emotional wellness. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, athletes who were given an adaptogenic blend including Schizandra chinensis extract or placebo, had increased concentrations of nitric oxide, a molecule which causes the blood vessels to expand resulting in increased circulation, increased blood flow and nutrients throughout the body and healthy blood pressure.  The researchers concluded that Schizandra berry enhances physical performance in athletes.  Schizandra berry has also been shown to support learning and memory and may have a protective effect on brain health. 
Licorice Root Extract†
The primary components in licorice root that support adrenal health include glycyrrhetic acid and glycyrrhizin. Licorice has also been shown to block 11-ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, the enzyme responsible for the conversion of cortisol to the inactive cortisone.  When taken in small doses, licorice root extract can be used to maintain cortisol levels, an important factor for individuals that need to support adrenal hormone production and maintain healthy inflammatory pathways. 
For thousands of years, glandular concentrates have been used in medicine to supply key nutrients to support the body. The concept of glandular therapy states that similar organ extracts from animals will support the same organ within humans by stimulating its activity. Adrenal bovine concentrate allows for rejuvenation of the adrenal stress system in a balanced and efficient manner. Micronutrient Blend† Adrenal gland function, as well as the synthesis of cortisol, is dependent on an adequate supply of several vitamins. Vitamin C plays a major role in neurotransmitter production and supports general health of the adrenals.  Under stressful conditions, vitamin C and B complex vitamins are readily used and excreted from the body.  Within the B vitamin family, pantothenic acid breaks down into Coenzyme A, which is essential for the production of energy from ingested carbohydrates, fats and proteins.  In a study evaluating the effects of pantothenic acid and glutathione production, pantothenic acid was found to increase CoA levels in the body, leading to increased ATP production.  Niacin also plays a vital role in many metabolic functions in the body, including supplying energy to cells and assisting in the production of adrenal hormones. 
1. Rhodiola rosea. Altern Med Review 2002;7 (5):421-423.
2. Shevtsov, VA, Zholus BI, et al. A randomized trial of two different doses of a SHR-5 Rhodiola rosea extract versus placebo and control of capacity for mental work. Phytomedicine 2003; 10(2-3):95-105.
3. Spasov AA, Wikman GK, Mandrikov, et al. A double blind, placebo controlled pilot study of the stimulating and adaptogenic effect of Rhodiola rosea SHR-5 extract on the fatigue of students caused by stress during an examination period with a repeated low-dose regimen. Phytomedicine 2000;7:85-89.
4. American Botanical Council. American Botanical Council. Eleuthero root. http://www.herbalgram.org. 2002.
5. Eleutherococcus senticosus. Altern Med Review 2006;(11):2.
6. Facchinetti F, Neri I, Tarabusi M. Eleutherococcus senticosus reduces cardiovascular response in healthy subjects: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Stress Health 2002;18:11-17.
7. Halstead BW, Hood LL. Eleutherococcus senticosus /Siberian ginseng: An introduction to the Concept of Adaptogenic Medicine. Long Beach, CA: Oriental Healing Arts Institute; 1984:28.
8. Panossian AG, Oganessian AS, et al. Effects of heavy physical exercise and adaptogens on nitric oxide content in human saliva. Phytomedicine 1999; 6(1):17-26.
9. Kang SY, Lee KY, et al. ESP-102, a standardized combined extract of Angelica gigas, Saururus chinensis and Schizandra chinensis, significantly improved scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice. Life Sci 2005; 76(15):1691-1705.
10. Guilliams TG, Edwards L. Chronic Stress and the HPA Axis. The Standard 2010;9(2).
11. Patak P, Willenberg HS, Bornstein SR. Vitamin C is an important cofactor for both adrenal cortex and adrenal medulla. Endocr Res 2004; 30(4):871-875.
12. Slyshenkov VS, Dymkowska D, Wojtczak, L. Pantothenic acid and pantothenol increase biosynthesis of glutathione by boosting cell energetics. FEBS Lett 2004; 569 (1-3):169-172.